Cherry blossoms everywhere: a work in progress.

It must be the weather.  But I cannot get cherry blossoms out of my head.  I have been mulling over the idea of using batik this way since last summer.  I had tried a few samples just hand painting them on swatches of silk, but wasn’t happy with the results.  I really wanted the flowers to pop.  So,  I filed it away for a while.

This weekend, with a need to use up some dyestock before it got too old, I started.

Starting with 16mm silk charmeuse scarf, it was stretched on the handy dandy frame.  Using soy wax and a cheap sumi brush I started dotting away.

cherry-blossoms-batik-in-progress5.jpg

On the right you can see the wax on white silk.  There is a light layer of pink that I put down.  Light is not great here, but you get the idea.

The left is the next layer of a deeper pink.  I stopped just to shoot a few “in progress” pics.

cherry-blossoms-batik-in-progress1.jpg

And finally…the rest of the deeper rose pink.

cherry-blossoms-batik-in-progress1-1.jpg

After a good night’s rest, “Part Two: Branches”.  But that’ll have to be tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>