Rows spaced half an inch apart, half inch stitches, off set each row by half an inch. I knew looking at the original fabric this wouldn’t get the same pattern- but it could be a jumping off point. About 3/4 of the way down the fabric- trying to sketch the stitch lines and lining up quilting rulers to make sure the off set was correct (and frequently winding up with wonky lines) it occurred to me that drawing an actual grid would have been a helluva lot easier.
So would have been doing this without trying to watch Deadliest Catch at the same time.
Anyhoo, onward we go.
Started with this (stitched ever so carefully on the bus yesterday)
Pulled the strings tight.
Then immersion dyed in dark green mx dye bath, probably swishing too much,
and got this
Clearly, not what it was supposed to be.
Things I know:
I need better thread. I’ve been using nylon coats and clark thread for the silk tying. But it is not thick enough for using with this fabric I don’t think. Or maybe I just need something less slippery. I had a hard time tying the threads tight enough to get clear resist. In digging through a box of samples that I’d done, I realized I had tried this technique a few years ago- before I really started getting into dyeing. I had used a heavier weight “thread of unknown origin” that had been in my grandmothers stash of sewing/craft supplies. It was the perfect weight for that- there were threads still in there, and I remember the cone it was on. I also remember chucking it when the basement flooded 2 years ago.
I think I over swished (agitated) in the dye bath.
Not entirely sure that original fabric did get immersed. Not even sure it was mokume.
So I will think about this some more and try again on the weekend, after I get the veggies in the garden.
And I will chuck that green dye stock, it seems shot anyways, and it’s a really icky color.