Cherry blossoms everywhere: a work in progress.

It must be the weather.  But I cannot get cherry blossoms out of my head.  I have been mulling over the idea of using batik this way since last summer.  I had tried a few samples just hand painting them on swatches of silk, but wasn’t happy with the results.  I really wanted the flowers to pop.  So,  I filed it away for a while.

This weekend, with a need to use up some dyestock before it got too old, I started.

Starting with 16mm silk charmeuse scarf, it was stretched on the handy dandy frame.  Using soy wax and a cheap sumi brush I started dotting away.


On the right you can see the wax on white silk.  There is a light layer of pink that I put down.  Light is not great here, but you get the idea.

The left is the next layer of a deeper pink.  I stopped just to shoot a few “in progress” pics.


And finally…the rest of the deeper rose pink.


After a good night’s rest, “Part Two: Branches”.  But that’ll have to be tomorrow.